Monday, March 23, 2009

Week 11: Second Life

Once I discovered how to search properly and teleport, Second Life showed its potential and I had a lot of fun. I spent most of my time at the ISTE Island and found many new resources for using Second Life. Check out the scheduled docent tours, the volunteer register, the information wall and the educational blog display.

Another aspect that is very compelling, is the opportunity to meet up with people you know in your real life. I was surprised at how much fun it was to check out a new place and be able to make comment to someone I knew.

At the ISTE site, I also met another teacher and we had a short chat. This seemed pretty normal and had a very different tone from another chat I had a couple of weeks ago on the Welcome Island. The first person that contacted me when I first arrived in Second Life ended up using swear words because I didn't answer.

So, there is so much more to look at. But, as they say in business, Second Life experiences depend on "location, location, location." As I wondered through the University Islands and the ISTE site, and even a Latin music performance at the Smithsonian Island, I began to see what a rich resource Second Life is.

No comments:

Post a Comment